Monday 26 January 2009

Japanese Binding.

As i'm looking at handmade books, i've just started looking into Japanese binding. A simple piece of ribbon/string holds the book together. I really love how something so easy to produce can be really effective. It also looks really neat and delicate.

There are many different types of Japanese binding, well, different ways of stitching. These include; double cross-stitch & flat stitch, double irregular flat stitch, double irregular cross-stitch, single cross-stitch, double flat stitch and double cross-stitch. I couldn't tell you what they all are though.



These books are made by Bridget Bullen, a book binder. She has a website where you can order blank books such as journals/sketchbooks/albums and chose the type of binding and what material you want. 

I'm not really sure if it's suitable for my subject yet, though. I've still got a lot of experimenting to do.

Links:

1 comment:

emmaprice said...

this is a really nice way of binding!!!