Tuesday 27 January 2009

'100' Update.

Just a quick update of where I'm at with this '100' project. I've decided to split my book up into sections. I'm not sure whether I'm going to do a 'big' book with chapters or 4/5 smaller books yet. This isn't definate but at the moment the sections will include; things that come through your letterbox (junk mail) and possibly peoples opinions, illustrations of doors, different types of components, and an interactive book with different openings and pop ups. I need to experiment with them all though cause I'm a bit unsure if some of them will work. Also, I don't really know how I'm going to make them work as a set if I were to do them as an individual book. My plan is to start thinking about packaging and ways I could make them fit together. As for relating it to 100, altogether there will be 100 visuals, i.e 25 illustrations, 25 pieces of junk mail etc. I didn't want it to be as obvious as '100 pages'.

I've also considered making an audio track of people 'singing' the sound of their door bell. This is if i've got time.

I've made a few books, some not that successful, but one in particular has turned out quite nice. It's my first attempt at Japanese binding and I'm quite pleased. It's not brilliant but now I've tried it I can do a lot better next time. Anyway, here it is.



I completely forgot about a title, and had already bound it before I realised. So I decided to cut it out, with a very blunt knife may I add. Nice idea I think, but I won't be doing it next time lol.



Basically, I've used my photography to play around with different layouts. The information at the side is the place where it is, the town and the date I took the picture. I don't really know if it's going to be any help to my project but I enjoyed doing it.

3 comments:

EdWebb said...

i really like the simple layout you have done with these photographs, the labels are neat and tidy too. Is this design layout for double page spread or trying out possible different size canvases?
i know it isnt a final design for the book but could you be playing around with the relation between the text and the image?

Heather. said...

I'm not really sure what it's for to be honest lol. The layout I used for the 32 page book was really boring so I just wanted to experiment with how I could make it a bit more exciting.

I was a bit unsure about taking the idea further, but playing around with the relationship between the text and image could be quite interesting. I'll have a go.

Thanks =D

chloegaleabagd said...

i really like the bottom layout and i like your simple use of text - very neat! x