Saturday 10 January 2009

Christmas project - Doors.

So, we were given another research project to do over the Christmas holidays where we are to produce a body of work that investigates the term/concept/number '100' by collecting, recording, documenting and categorising. 

It could be any object of our choice and I chose doors. I really don't know what I was thinking. I mean, I do like doors, the big old doors like on Churches and old buildings, but they really aren't that interesting and I have no idea how i'm going to make them sound interesting for the 2 minute presentation on Monday. 

I'm a little lost with the '100' thing too. I have 100 photos, 100 different types of doors, nearly 100 questionnaire results, quite a few sketches which i'm going to try and make 100, but is that enough? I'm so confused. Lol.

Anyway, here's a contact sheet of my 100 pictures of doors..

Most of them are quite old but I think i've got a nice variety of colours.

I've been doing a bit of experimenting and I came across a program which creates a digital photo mosaic, a photo made up of other photos. Basically, you chose the photo you want to make, and select the folder including all images you want to use, and it does it for you.



A door made up of 100 different doors. It didn't work as well as i'd expected though. I would of preferred the images to have been bigger but obviously the bigger the images the less detailed the door gets. Was interesting to play about with though. 

I've experimented with a few categories for my photos, but the one that seems to work the best is colours. The blue, green and red doors work really well, however the other colours don't seem to stand out as much. I think it's down to the quality of my photos as some have a blue tinge to them. Also, as it's winter, most of them were taken in the dark.


I decided to show my results like this. Basically each circle represents a door and it's colour. 

1 comment:

Christophe' said...

i loved this bit of research work it was really smart!
i loved the colour chart to it was cool!