Tuesday 13 January 2009

Book of 100 - Statement of intent.

1. State the title & focus of your work in response to the brief.
Title: Doors.
Focus: I will continue to research my chosen subject and use this research to produce a resolution that reflects my own practical and conceptual interests within the field of graphic design.

2. Identify specific areas of research that you intend to investigate and methods that you will use.
The research I already have is; 100 photographs of doors which I have categorised into colours, a list of 100 different types of doors, a questionnaire with 50 participants so far, a few sketches and an image made out of 100 different doors. (See previous post)

First of all I need to collect more secondary research including artists work, facts, figures etc. I need to collect more of a variation of doors, photographing the different types of doors rather than just the doors I find interesting. With these photos I intend to experiment more with different categories, including age, size, materials etc. I would also like to experiment with line drawings using illustrator. 

I also plan to look more into door components (i.e. bells, knockers, letterboxes, locks, windows etc).

Pop up and fold out books seem to be quite relevant to my subject area as doors are an 'opening'. I plan to investigate the different ways of using paper to create a 'flap' in order to represent a door.

3. Identify specific practical methods and technical processes that you intend to use in order to visually develop your ideas.
I plan to use a variety of different mediums including photography, drawing/sketching, painting and collage. I will also be using software such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign in order to edit my photographs and create images.

4. What methods will you use to evaluate the progress and success of your work?
Group crits will play a big part in this project as a way of gaining feedback on the development of my work. I will keep an ongoing visual and written evaluation in my sketchbook, along with constantly asking students and tutors for opinions and advice.

No comments: