Wednesday 11 February 2009

OUGD102 - Self Evaluation.

What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Within this module, I feel I have strongly developed the ability to use software such as Photoshop and InDesign effectively. Although there are still a few things I am unsure about, I have sufficient knowledge to develop and manipulate my work, along with successfully using InDesign to print a book at what I feel a good standard. During the 'Book of 100' project, Illustrator was a necessity as my book was based upon vector images of doors. This developed my skills dramatically and I now feel confident and able to approach this program, whereas in the last module I just used Photoshop wherever possible.

My crafting skills have also developed. I have learnt different methods of binding and can use these methods professionally.

What approaches to/methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have strongly developed my understanding of research, and how it plays a vital part in the design process. I have learnt how to research what's relevant and use it effectively. I now know the different methods of collecting research and can categorise the information appropriately.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think my best strength was my final resolution to the 'Book of 100' project, which isn't particually important to this module as it's mainly about the research & development. I think I forgot about this and spent too much time making my final book whereas I should have been doing more research and developing ideas. However, I do feel that being too ambitions is good thing.

My research skills have developed and I do feel this is shown in my work, however, I'm still not applying these skills as much as I should be.

If i'm honest, I'm actually finding it quite hard to pick out the strengths in my work, but the biggest strength in this module was my motivation.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

As i've just pointed out, I spent far too much time working on my final book of 100 and this resulted in my research suffering.

Another weakness one is the way I put my ideas onto paper. I really need to get out of the habit of writing down all my ideas instead of visualising them and actually doing them. Writing notes on a piece of paper isn't going to help me realise if the idea will work. In the next module I intend to try out all my ideas, even if they are too obvious or if I can't see it working, at least i've tried it and can leave it behind.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Manage my time better. I know I said this in my last module evaluation, but I still haven't been managing my time effectively. After the time management sessions, however, I did realise how much time I was wasting and improved dramatically. I was impressed at how much more work I was able to do. I also need to take into account the time scale of the project and be more realistic when it comes to final ideas. I ended up setting myself a too ambitious task and had to compromise my work because of the time I had left.

2. Think outside the box. I really need to stop going for the obvious solution and try something else, even if I may feel a little uncomfortable doing so. This could improve my work and possibly make it more interesting. I also need to stop fixating on a specific outcome and open my mind to other options.

3. Get more feedback other than in the crits. I ended up depending on the crits for feedback, where I could of easily asked another student for their opinions and criticism. This would have allowed me to move on with my work more quickly.

4. Make sure everything is finished before the deadline. I've learnt not to rely on technology because it will go wrong when you need it the most. I intend to set myself a timetable and stick to it, as well as my own deadlines. This will allow time to make improvements and corrections if anything is to go wrong.

5. Contribute more in crits and be a little more critical. This way others get more help and I can expect the same back.

Are there any things we could have done differently that would have benefitted your progress?

The way the last crit was set out was really helpful, only it didn't give us chance to ask questions, or much time to take on the suggestions. I think it would of been more helpful if this type of crit was held earlier on in the project, though, it was nice having Amber & Jo around in the studio so we were able to have one-to-one tutorials if we needed.

How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(5=excellent, 4=very good, 3=good, 2=average, 1=poor)

Attendance: 2 (before christmas), 4 (after christmas)
Punctuality: 3
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work produced: 3
Quality of work produced: 4
Contribution to the group: 2

No comments: