Thursday 23 October 2008

Violet Violet Violet.

What is violet?

I really haven't been very well this week so i've found it really hard to get into this brief, which is a shame as I found it really interesting. However, I could carry it on through reading week to get the most out of it.

A concept which I have been experimenting with is how violet is made; the mixing of the primary colours, red and blue. A literal approach yet i've found can be really effective. I've been using seethrough objects to convey this, one thing i've found quite successful is feathers.

I was quite unsure as to how this would turn out at first, but the violet is actually really visable. I really love this image and think it answers the question "what is violet?" very well.

There are a few other concepts which I like but have yet to develop a bit more. One which I really like is showing the shades of violet, starting from the reddy voilet through to the bluey violet. I have experimented with text for this but have ideas for images which I feel will work a lot better.

When researching violet I found various references to flowers, so during reading week I took a trip to the garden center where I took numerous photos of different brightly coloured flowers. I've picked out a few of the best ones.





I particually liked this one of a violet pansy, so I've used this photo to experiment with all the shades of violet.

I know it's not brilliant, and all i've done is replecate an image, but I like it. It's simple and it gets to the point.

No comments: