Friday 12 December 2008

What if.

Research project.

Unfortunately I missed the first lesson for this, so I joined my group late when the subject had already been decided. The brief said to solve a problem within leeds, so, starting with negativity/disturbia, my group went on to look at crime, or more specifically student burglaries.

After doing loads of questionnaires, and basically just gathering loads of research, we wanted to find a way which we could present the research more graphically. So, we decided to make them into posters, which were to be a4 square format.

We assigned each other a pacific area of research to present and together decided on the font and colours to use, then went away to produce them. We also made a facebook group so we could upload photos of our progress, which gave us all the oppertunity to discuss any problems and get advice where needed.

The colours we originally chose where light pink and blue, but when I started to create the poster I couldn't seem to make it fit well with the images. Also, our subject is quite negative so having light, happy colours didn't seem to make sense. So I suggested to my team that we kept the blue but replaced the pink with yellow, to me these colours are quite like warning colours and are also associated with the police.

Basically, I tried to take the stripe idea from the posters and include this in the design itself. I was really just playing with shapes but when I stepped back and looked at it I realised it created a diagonal stripe through the whole poster, which I was quite happy with.

We aimed to make all the posters as a set by using the same fonts, colours etc, which we did. However, mine ended up looking significantly different to the others. I think this was because mine were the only ones that included images, and I felt I needed something darker to bring these images out. I also used black which I possibly should of avoided.

Our resolution was flyers and stickers to inform the public of the high rate burglaries in Leeds, including statistics we found from our research. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to hand these out and interact with the public. However, we gave out our stickers in class which we recorded. I'll post some pictures soon.

Links:
Group blogs: Ian, Kate, Leigh, Mitch

No comments: