Wednesday 3 December 2008

Close-ups.

In film, television and still photography a close-up tightly frames a person or an object. Close-ups display the most detail, but they do not include the broader scene.

There are 3 types of close-ups:

Medium Close-up: Usually covers the subjects head and shoulders.
Close-up: A certain feature, such as someone's head, takes up the whole frame.
Extreme Close-up: The shot is so tight that only a fraction of the focus of attention, such as someone's eyes, can be seen.

I've been looking at a photographer, David Bailey, who i've liked for some time now. He mainly concentrates on portraits but also looks at landscapes and still life.



One of my other themes I had was christmas, so i've decided to try and keep to this theme. I've been experimenting with baubles, tinsel, mince pies, christmas trees, candles, wine etc but i'm a little unsure about it at the moment. It's really hard when you don't really know where your meant to be going with it. Also, really unsure about what we need to have done for tomorrow, really don't think i've been doing this right, but i've been doing it so hopefully i'll be O.K.

Here's a few photos for my primary research, which I took with a digital SLR camera I rented from college which was a lot of fun..




I am actually really impressed with the photos seeing as I hadn't used a digital SLR camera before, other than in our photography induction of course. I got really frustrated though, as no matter how hard I try I really can't seem to get my head around all the different settings, and basically don't really know how to take a good picture. It just ended up on automatic. It was good to play around though, and it's just made me more determined to learn how to take a great picture. I have digital photography as my elective so I'm really looking forward to that.

No comments: