Sunday 14 December 2008

Self Evaluation.

Self evaluation for the 'What if" brief.

What problem did you identify?
The high burglary rates in student areas of Leeds.

What evidence did you find to support your decisions?
* 75% of students asked know others living in Leeds that have been burgled.
* 20% of students become a victim of crime each year because students own more expensive consumer goods per head than the rest of the population.
* 76% of surveyed students in accommodation have over £2000 worth of consumer goods in their own bedrooms.

What methods did you use to gather your evidence and what forms did it take?
(Categorise your research using the terms Primary, Secondary, Quantitative & Qualitative.)

What methods did you find useful and why?

How did these inform the response to your problem?

What methods did you find problematic?
When handing out questionnaires asking if the students had been burgled or knew of anyone that had, our results weren't very successful. Not one person had been burgled, however, quite a few knew someone who had. This made it very hard to get primary research as we would of liked to get an interview with a 'victim'.

I found working in a group quite problematic as it was really hard to just stop thinking about the situation and get on with solving it. It was also hard to make all our designs work as a set as we each have our own style.

How did you overcome this? How will you address these issues in future?
We went on to ask people who worked in student accommodation, such as the Plaza, for their opinions and facts. Unfortunately, they were reluctant to help and wouldn't give out any sort of information. We had to rely on the facts and figures we had collected in our secondary research. In the future I will visit more places to try and get the information I need. We could of also gave out the questionnaires to more people, and a more variety of ages.

As for the team work, I think I need to work on voicing my opinions more.

What research didn't you carry out that would would have proved useful?
I think just having conversations with people and finding out their opinions would of been quite useful as we were lacking on primary research.

What five things would you do differently next time?
1. Manage my time better. I really need to get out of this habit of convincing myself I still have plenty of time to get everything done the day before it needs to be presented.
2. Concentrate more on primary research. Also, try to get a wider variety of research.
3. Experiment more. I need to stop fixating on a specific outcome and open my mind to other possibilities.
4. Involve myself more when working in teams.
5. Not to rely on technology. It will go wrong.

List five things that you feel you have learned about the design process over the past 2 weeks?
1. Research plays a vital part in the design process.
2. Make sure I am there for the start of the project as it's really hard to catch up, and also wasn't fair to my team members. Actually, just make sure i'm there all the time.
3.
4.
5.

Our resolutions in the public domain;

1 comment:

kate dyer said...

aaah ive not done my evaluation thing either yet, i cant be bothered! haha


p.s. your header thing looks waaaaaaay like charlottes, weird! x