Sunday 8 March 2009

What is a line? VIII - Contour Book.

This is the finished contour line book that I'd been working on for a while.

I really like how it's turned out, it does look like contour lines and the lines are really thin and delicate, like how they are on maps. I now plan to experiment with colour and have bought a pocket map of the world book which I have yet to experiment with.

When I look at the book, however, I realise it has no context. It doesn't represent anything or mean anything and I'm really unsure of how I can get around this. I mentioned this in the crit and it was suggested to me that I go back and develop the lines from maps that I were experimenting with earlier in this project, but I feel like I would just end up in the same position, and I would really like to continue to develop the contour lines. I have re-read the brief and it doesn't say we have to have a final resolution for this project, so I'm going to continue to investigate the contour lines and find a way to give them more context. However, I can't help but wonder if it actually needs a context.

No comments: