Tuesday 10 March 2009

What is a Line? IX - Map Tracing.

When I was looking into lines of maps, this is something I wanted to do but had been too busy concentrating on the contour lines. Then it was suggested in the crit to back and investigate it further.

I've taken one of the photos I took of maps into illustrator and traced over the lines. I've took into consideration the thickness of the lines and added a little colour to make it a bit more visually interesting.

I first tried to use minimal lines, which I liked, but felt it needed more. 



I really like them, especially the contrast in the thickness of the lines and the delicacy. It has more of a context than the contour lines as the lines are actually taken from a map. This is something I could do with my contours, take them from something so I'm not just making them up. I would also like to look at a map that means something to me, such as my hometown, Doncaster. 

No comments: